Nektar++  is a tensor product based finite element package designed to allow one to
construct efficient classical low polynomial order h-type solvers (where h is the size of the
finite element) as well as higher p-order piecewise polynomial order solvers. The framework
currently has the following capabilities:
- Representation of one, two and three-dimensional fields as a collection of piecewise
continuous or discontinuous polynomial domains.
- Segment, plane and volume domains are permissible, as well as domains
representing curves and surfaces (dimensionally-embedded domains).
- Hybrid shaped elements, i.e triangles and quadrilaterals or tetrahedra, prisms and
- Both hierarchical and nodal expansion bases.
- Continuous or discontinuous Galerkin operators.
- Cross platform support for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
The framework comes with a number of solvers and also allows one to construct a variety of
Our current goals are to develop:
- Automatic auto-tuning of optimal operator implementations based upon not only
h and p but also hardware considerations and mesh connectivity.
- Temporal and spatial adaption.
- Features enabling evaluation of high-order meshing techniques.
For further information and to download the software, visit the Nektar++ website at